Monday, November 7, 2011






...winter training

I have gotten into a great routine with my winter training. This week my mileage was just over 80, that's 80miles not Kilometers! 
Today i have a rest day. I usually take one day of every 2 weeks. 


During my break and build up to normal training volume i was able to get out into the local running community. 
I visited a few schools around Atlanta to hand out running shoes for the "Girls on the Run" program. GOTR is a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.  
I am thrilled to have been asked to be the official starter of the GOTR 5k Atlanta race on Nov.13th. 




I also visited a couple of local colleges to talk about my experiences as college and professional runner. 

Most mornings my husband and I meet with my massage therapist, Robin Rogers and run at the Chattahoochee river trail close to our house. 
The trail is a runners dream. Soft dirt with quarter mile markers all the way, but i have my Garmin of course! We also have the option to run up in the wooded trails. I usually meet some local guys for a trail run on Friday mornings. 






Currently twice a week I have weights and 4-5 afternoons a week I have a 2nd run. 
I had my first workout last week, and pleasantly surprised myself with my tempo pace. Tempos are my weakness, so I was really happy with my workout. 

This week I had my first session with Chiropractor Dr.Josh.Glass at Georgia Sports Chiropractic. Dr Glass has served as the USA Track & Field World Championship Team Chiropractor at the last two world Championships and has been the event Chiropractor at the USA National Champs since 2004. 
I get a stitch/cramp quite often, and it really held me back in the Final at the World Champs this year, so i am looking to fix this issue with the help of Dr.Glass. 
My massage therapist works closely with Dr.Glass which is great as they can communicate my needs easily. 
I also have the use of the fantastic technology which includes the Alter G Treadmill and Pneumatic Compression sleeves. The NormaTec MVP provides pulsating compression to your legs to reduce swelling, muscle fatigue and stiffness.

We are extremely lucky to have such a good quality altitude tent. My sleep is not disturbed at all. Those of you who have experienced sleeping in an altitude tent know it can get very hot. We are currently sleeping at 12,000ft. 12hours a day at 12,000ft is said to be equivalent to 25hrs a day at 6,000ft.
I am planning to get in some altitude training between January and April next year in either Kenya or Font Romeu. 

This week Sean is working with New Balance at the New York Marathon, so it is just me and Duke (my dog). He enjoyed a nice bowl of Delia Smith's Yorkshire pudding recipe and gravy tonight! For those American readers Yorkshire Puddings are amazing and Delia Smith is an English Cook and the UK's best selling cookery Author. 

Look out for the launch of my website this week!

2 comments:

  1. Great update. Can't wait for the website. Which altitude tent are using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So do you stay in your altitude tent for 12 hours a day everyday?

    ReplyDelete